Filing a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in West Virginia
The first step in filing your lawsuit is determining whether your specific situation constitutes medical malpractice under West Virginia law. Chapter 55, Article 7B of West Virginia Code discusses the topic of medical professional liability and validates the patient’s right to justified compensation as a result of incompetently performed medical care.
Common types of medical malpractice lawsuits include, but are not limited to:
- Physician Negligence, Mistakes & Errors »
- Hospital Negligence »
- Surgical Errors »
- Anesthesia Errors »
- Medication Errors »
- Misdiagnosis »
- Birth Injuries to Mothers »
- Infant Injuries or Death »
- Negligent Medical Care »
In West Virginia, medical malpractice claims are filed under three main categories:
- Economic – Referring to the cost of tangible damages that can be calculated, such as medical bills, lost wages, etc.
- Non-economic – Referring to the cost of non-tangible damages that the plaintiff has endured, such as physical pain, injury, emotional trauma, and mental distress.
- Punitive – Referring to gross negligence or intent to harm by the defendant. These are less common but may arise in cases of blatant disregard to the wellbeing of a patient during a medical procedure, or cases in which provider malpractice was intended.
Hartley Law Group can help you get started on the filing and documenting process. Don’t hesitate to contact our medical malpractice attorneys in West Virginia to get started on the first steps of your claim – we’re here to help you receive your justified compensation.
Hartley Law Group has experience handling medical malpractice cases in the State of West Virginia against several hospitals and medical centers including, Charleston Area Medical Center, Thomas Memorial Hospital, Raleigh General Hospital, Princeton Community Hospital and St. Mary’s Hospital.
Here When You Need Us Most
At Hartley Law Group, we understand that filing a medical malpractice claim can be an emotional and overwhelming experience. That’s why we’re here to walk you through every step and lend a supporting hand along the way.
Our leading team of medical malpractice lawyers in West Virginia, will examine your case, dissect documentation, and thoroughly research your options. Schedule your initial consultation today by giving us a call at 1.800.625.2889.