If you have been diagnosed with Mesothelioma, you probably already know how vital it is that you waste no time in speaking with a West Virginia mesothelioma lawyer. These complex cases take experience, knowledge and an aggressive approach to obtain the maximum in financial compensation. Call us at 1.800.625.2889 for a free consultation.
Click the links below for more information about mesothelioma:
- Causes of Mesothelioma
- Symptoms of Mesothelioma
- Diagnosing & Treating Mesothelioma
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma FAQ
Causes of Mesothelioma: Exposure to Asbestos
Manufacturers and other companies knew the dangers of exposing workers to asbestos fibers and failed to ensure workers were made aware of the hazards and were protected. It can take as long as 40 years after being exposed to asbestos for symptoms of the disease to develop.
Asbestos was used in thousands of products for both commercial use and in consumer products and was a very popular fire retardant. Most of our clients come to us as a result of an occupational exposure such as:
Other workers have a less obvious exposure. Persons who are ill or have lost a loved one through exposure to asbestos may be entitled to recover:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Final expenses
- Other costs directly related to the illness
Have you been diagnosed with mesothelioma? Do you believe that it’s directly related to your occupation? Consult a West Virginia mesothelioma lawyer at our firm to discuss your case and your legal options.
Symptoms of Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma is usually diagnosed 20-50 years after someone is exposed to large quantities of asbestos. Symptoms of mesothelioma are not as intense as other types of cancer symptoms, so they are hardly recognizable. Most people do not know that they have mesothelioma until the later stages. There are various forms of mesothelioma and these can lead to different symptoms. Act now and see your doctor if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Pleural mesothelioma – Influences the tissue that is surrounding the lungs. It can lead to:
- Chest pain
- Weight loss
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual lumps under the skin in the chest area
- Painful coughing
- Peritoneal mesothelioma – Takes place in the tissue around the abdominal region and can be recognized through:
- Weight loss that seems unusual
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Pain in the abdomen
- Lumps of tissue in the abdomen
- Pericardial mesothelioma – Effects tissue in the heart region and can lead to:
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
Since there are many forms of this cancer and different ways that it can be recognized, the best option is to turn to a medical professional immediately after noticing any symptoms or to get checkups so that it can be caught early on.
Mesothelioma Treatment Options
Mesothelioma treatment can vary, depending on the situation. Current health, location and the progress of the cancer will all be important factors that are taken into consideration when deciding how to approach it.
- Curative Surgery – A major operation that may increase one’s chances of survival, but it also poses major risks for others. Patients must be in outstanding health to qualify for this surgery. This type is recommended for those in the early stages of mesothelioma. Those who are in stage 4 or 5 do not have as high of a survival rate.
- Palliative Surgery – Cancerous tissue is removed, or excess fluid is drained to lessen the pain and suffering mesothelioma victims may feel. It is not a cure, but it does improve the quality of life.
- Diagnostic Surgery – Used to determine where the cancer is, if any. This type of surgery usually occurs in the form of a biopsy.
- Radiation Therapy is common and uses a high energy beam to target specific areas. It can be used along with other treatment to improve the overall success.
- Chemotherapy can also be used to kill the cancerous cells. “Chemo” involves the use of certain drugs to kill cancer cells and is often combined with surgery or radiation. The goal is to destroy malignant cells, shrink mesothelioma tumors, prevent reoccurrence, and relieve symptoms.
- Clinical Trials are also an option for those willing to try it. Since medicine is always advancing, there are studies continuously being done to determine a better solution. There are a number of targeted drug therapies that are currently being researched. Some patients try experimental therapy, like immunotherapy for mesothelioma relief.
It is important to try to catch mesothelioma early on since it can advance rapidly and be difficult to turn back. The cost of treating and living with this form of cancer is high and if it has been caused by another person then it is important for compensation to be sought. Medical bills can be extensive, including surgical procedures, checkups and ongoing treatment to try to reverse the damage. Those affected may be put out of work while they are dealing with it and this can leave them with no source of income.
40+ Years of Experience Working For You
Our legal team understands what is at stake. You need legal counsel that is intimately familiar with the laws concerning asbestos claims and thoroughly experienced in proving liability in a personal injury claim. Mesothelioma attorney Leslie Ann James is one of a small group of lawyers who helped to design the West Virginia court system for handling asbestos litigation. While most personal injury cases are settled out of court, we are prepared to use our experience to litigate every case if that is what it takes to gain a fair settlement. If you have additional questions you can visit our Asbestos & Mesothelioma FAQ page.